Woman in Comedy: A really scary thing happened to me last night at a comedy show.
Part of me thinks it’s too soon to be writing about this because I don’t think I’ve completely processed how I feel, but I also think maybe this has happened to other women and I should talk about it in as raw a way as possible. I’m still really embarrassed and ashamed and garbled up inside, but maybe this can start a helpful discussion in terms of women and comedy.
Last night, I was on a stand up show in the East Village. The show started out with a small crowd and the host did an amazing job interacting with them and riling them up. By the time I got on stage, there were about 20 or so more people in the audience and the place had really filled up. The show was still kind of loose because of the back and forth between the host and the audience, so when I got on stage, I riffed a bit about the stuff that had happened before and then talked to one guy on the side of the audience who the host had dubbed “Banana Republic.” All joke-y. All in good fun.
Then, I start my actual set and do my first two jokes, which go pretty okay. I start another joke that is vaguely sexual - not crude, not crass - mainly silly and that goes well too. The next joke I do is about my boyfriend.
At a comedy show, when you’re on stage, usually you can’t see the audience because of the bright lights. So I’m looking into pitch darkness. As I start the joke, someone yells, “Does your boyfriend know?” referring to the sexuality joke I’d just told. I stop, laugh and say that he does because I think it’s just more of the loose environment that’s been going on at this show. I attribute it to an audience member just having fun.
I start to tell the joke about my boyfriend again, and at the midway point, the same voice yells something else derogatory about my boyfriend, homophobic and misogynistic towards me. I stop, confused. I can’t see who is talking to me so I make a HUGE mistake and say, “Sir, if you’re gonna talk to me, you need to come to the front because I can’t see you.” I think calling him out like this will shut him up.
Someone mentioned this should go here too.
- adventuresofraindancepamela reblogged this from thesameoldlie
- thesameoldlie reblogged this from gabydunn
- thesameoldlie likes this
- hillbillyana likes this
- hannahsmo reblogged this from breezygr and added:
- breezygr reblogged this from gabydunn and added:
- suckerforsadstuck reblogged this from gabydunn and added:
- isapisalisa reblogged this from gracehelbig
- zephyr1812 likes this
- mamua likes this
- rebelfreakat221b likes this
- xkitsuna likes this
- youresobittericantasteit reblogged this from gabydunn
- asphaltforest likes this
- aallora likes this
- sh0rtlegs likes this
- dem-makaras-and-captors likes this
- its-deadpool-bitches reblogged this from gabydunn
- tornadoscribbler likes this
- idontflossenough likes this
- lauralikestotalk likes this
- snitchedsecrets likes this
- fivefeetsmalll reblogged this from gabydunn and added:
- lindybadger likes this
- youbestnotmiss likes this
- hubiera-no-existe likes this
- darcellcrockett likes this
- cordieco reblogged this from gabydunn
- awhiffofcinnamon likes this
- technicoloresque reblogged this from allthingswildandfree
- allthingswildandfree reblogged this from gabydunn
- ryeinthecatcher likes this
- misstreadlightly likes this
- wanderlust86 reblogged this from gabydunn
- wanderlust86 likes this
- houseofgay reblogged this from 100interviews and added:
- houseofgay likes this
- becauseforoncethisisme likes this
- sororityn-oise likes this
- brianisburning likes this
- annettebamf reblogged this from gabydunn
- annettebamf likes this
- elysedc likes this
- descriptionwithoutlabels likes this
- pantsandotherlegwear likes this
- openingandupward likes this
- oedipus-tyrannus reblogged this from gabydunn
- robesvipierre likes this
- citizenkerry likes this
- trilies reblogged this from gabydunn