Woman in Comedy: A really scary thing happened to me last night at a comedy show.
Part of me thinks it’s too soon to be writing about this because I don’t think I’ve completely processed how I feel, but I also think maybe this has happened to other women and I should talk about it in as raw a way as possible. I’m still really embarrassed and ashamed and garbled up inside, but maybe this can start a helpful discussion in terms of women and comedy.
Last night, I was on a stand up show in the East Village. The show started out with a small crowd and the host did an amazing job interacting with them and riling them up. By the time I got on stage, there were about 20 or so more people in the audience and the place had really filled up. The show was still kind of loose because of the back and forth between the host and the audience, so when I got on stage, I riffed a bit about the stuff that had happened before and then talked to one guy on the side of the audience who the host had dubbed “Banana Republic.” All joke-y. All in good fun.
Then, I start my actual set and do my first two jokes, which go pretty okay. I start another joke that is vaguely sexual - not crude, not crass - mainly silly and that goes well too. The next joke I do is about my boyfriend.
At a comedy show, when you’re on stage, usually you can’t see the audience because of the bright lights. So I’m looking into pitch darkness. As I start the joke, someone yells, “Does your boyfriend know?” referring to the sexuality joke I’d just told. I stop, laugh and say that he does because I think it’s just more of the loose environment that’s been going on at this show. I attribute it to an audience member just having fun.
I start to tell the joke about my boyfriend again, and at the midway point, the same voice yells something else derogatory about my boyfriend, homophobic and misogynistic towards me. I stop, confused. I can’t see who is talking to me so I make a HUGE mistake and say, “Sir, if you’re gonna talk to me, you need to come to the front because I can’t see you.” I think calling him out like this will shut him up.
Someone mentioned this should go here too.
- lauralikestotalk likes this
- snitchedsecrets likes this
- fivefeetsmalll reblogged this from gabydunn and added:
- lindybadger likes this
- youbestnotmiss likes this
- hubiera-no-existe likes this
- darcellcrockett likes this
- cordieco reblogged this from gabydunn
- awhiffofcinnamon likes this
- technicoloresque reblogged this from allthingswildandfree
- allthingswildandfree reblogged this from gabydunn
- ryeinthecatcher likes this
- downandoutinthe21st likes this
- misstreadlightly likes this
- ikeabakeria likes this
- candicedarden reblogged this from gabydunn
- candicedarden likes this
- houseofgay reblogged this from 100interviews and added:
- houseofgay likes this
- becauseforoncethisisme likes this
- veganandink likes this
- brianisburning likes this
- annettebamf reblogged this from gabydunn
- annettebamf likes this
- elysedc likes this
- descriptionwithoutlabels likes this
- pantsandotherlegwear likes this
- openingandupward likes this
- twelvesystems reblogged this from gabydunn
- robesvipierre likes this
- citizenkerry likes this
- trilies reblogged this from gabydunn
- trinloch likes this
- thebadwood likes this
- blackbinda likes this
- ohitspace likes this
- oldmanasante likes this
- someofmybestfriends likes this
- thesoundandtheforte likes this
- kelseyr713 reblogged this from thesargebag
- ijklmarissa likes this
- amongmadpersons reblogged this from gabydunn
- idiat likes this
- carynhunt reblogged this from gabydunn
- oh-trepidations likes this
- katoutofnowhere likes this
- wearetheladies reblogged this from gabydunn and added:
- lyricwolf reblogged this from priestess-of-blood
- priestess-of-blood reblogged this from gabydunn and added: